The University of Maryland Eastern Shore Alumni Association - Baltimore Chapter has a very, very rich history. Our research shows that the first Baltimore Alumni Chapter was formed in the mid 1940s and led by President Edward Wilkins, a 1941 industrial arts graduate of Princess Anne Academy. Mr. Wilkins was employed by the Charles County and Washington County School Systems and later joined the Baltimore City Public School System as a teacher and later in his career as counselor. He worked with the alumni association for several years before the chapter became inactive.
The Baltimore Alumni Chapter was revitalized in 1970 by a group of alumni who had recently graduated from Maryland State College (MSC). According to one of the founders of this group, it was rumored that there was a possibility that the school was closing, therefore this group of alumni unified to support the school. The president was Ellis Boston, a 1967 social science graduate of Maryland State College. He later earned his law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law. He was employed by the Washington, D.C. School System as Director of Labor Relations.
In the mid 1970s George Boston was elected President and Jesse Edwards was his vice president. Mr. Boston was a 1952 graduate of Maryland State College and was employed by the Baltimore City Police Department.
Vernon Williams, a 1970 graduate and at the time an employee of the C&P Telephone Company, was elected as the next president of the organization and Jesse Edwards served as his vice president. Mr. Williams was transferred from the area by his employer and Jesse Edwards became president of the alumni association in 1979.
Jesse Edwards was a 1968 graduate of Maryland State College and a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. Mr. Edwards was employed as a Physical Education teacher in Baltimore City Public Schools, a coach, and an adjunct instructor for Baltimore City Community College and Coppin State College. Thomas Frasier served as his vice president. The Baltimore Alumni Chapter received its official charter from the UMES National Alumni Association under the leadership of Valerie Watts in 1984. Jesse Edwards served as president of the Baltimore Alumni Association for ten years.
In 1989 Charles Gregg was the next elected president of the organization. Mr. Gregg was a 1968 biology/chemistry graduate of the university (MSC), and he too was a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. Charles Gregg was a business executive employed by the Corning Corporation. Delphine Lee served as his vice president. It was under his tenure that the chapter received its 501C3 incorporation status. Thus the official name of the chapter is: The Baltimore Chapter, UMES Alumni Association, Inc.
In 1993 Delphine Lee was elected president and Thomas Frasier served as her vice president. She was a 1970 business education graduate of the university and was employed by the Baltimore City Public School System as teacher, assistant principal and high school principal. Under her leadership the Baltimore Alumni Chapter continued to thrive. During this era the chapter received its Maryland State tax exempt status and worked closely with the National Alumni Association in establishing its (501C3) incorporation status. Under the leadership of Delphine Lee the Baltimore Chapter developed a website and recruited young alumni to help move the chapter to its next level.
On March 19, 2010 the University of Maryland Eastern Shore Baltimore ALumni chapter had a changing of the guards after 17yrs. The new executive board consists of older and younger alumni. This combination of history, knowledge and Hawk Pride will help the organization to soar higher and provide assistance to future and current alumni of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.